Did you know that France is a leader in startups and innovative companies?
France is Innovative
- Clarivate Analytics Top 100 Global Innovators 2017: France ranks again 3rd with 7 of the most innovative companies or research centers in the world.
- France has the most winners in the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 for EMEA (2017) for a seventh consecutive year.
- France is first in Europe for the number of new companies created +28,940 (Eurostat 2016) which represents 554,031 companies created in 2016.
- France is a “Startup Nation” with no fewer than 12,000 startups and hosts the largest incubator in the world, Station F, with more than 1,000 startups.
France is the European leading market for Venture capital in number of transactions, ahead of the UK (Dealroom, 2017)
France is the 3rd leading recipient in Europe of foreign R&D investments (EY, 2018).
There are 25 foreign investment decisions per week in France (Business France, 2017).
France is the second leading source country in the world of Fields medal winners.
- A major initiative to stimulate French and foreign startups growth. €200 million have been invested in private-sector initiatives (accelerator programs).
- In 2018, France had once again the largest European delegation at the CES in Las Vegas and accounted for the second-largest number of startups, after the United States.
- 3 French Tech Hubs in the US: New York, Boston and San Francisco.
- Foreign startups are eligible for €25,000 of funding with the “French Tech Ticket” program.
A Startup friendly environment
- The largest R&D tax credit in Europe, which covers 30% of all R&D costs up to €100 million, and 5% above this threshold. Innovation expenses incurred by SMEs are eligible for a 20% R&D tax credit (up to €400,000 per year).
- France is one of the simplest countries in which to create a company: barely five administrative procedures and four days are required, compared with an OECD average of 4.8 procedures and 9.2 days. (World Bank, Doing Business, 2015).
- France ranks 1st in Europe for early-stage venture capital investments for startups with US$408 million (Eurostat 2015) and has the second largest VC ecosystem in Europe (US$1.2 billion in 2015).
- Young Entrepreneurs Initiative (YEI) is the French-American accelerator for innovative American startups looking to explore opportunities in France.
- A $57 billion National Investment Program aims to underline the competitiveness of the French economy by increasing growth potential. $4.5 billion are planned to stimulate the creation and development of French digital companies in France and abroad.
– A further €12 billion will be spent on research and the energy transition, future industries, aerospace, the digital sector, healthcare, technological excellence, and education/training.
- 71 innovation clusters, inspired by the American model, bring together universities, private companies and research centers, as well as new technology research institutions benefiting from public/private joint investments. These clusters attract international partnerships, and 17 cooperation projects with American partners are already in place.
- French and Foreign Digital startups raised €1.8 Billion in France in 2015 (EY), this has more than doubled on one year to the next.